Sunday, April 27, 2014

Dreaming of colder weather

We are having unseasonal warm weather this April. I am seriously over the heat. I want to be able to walk without getting hot and sticky and to eat comfort food.

I have been making lasagne lately with ricotta cheese as the topping instead of béchamel sauce. So much easier and less calories.
A family favourite

Last weekend I went to my friend C's house for dinner and took potato salad. I do mine with lightly fried bacon and red onion, then polish dill pickles and hard boiled eggs tossed through with the mayo.
I make small amounts - otherwise I eat too much of this
For a very short time the creeper on C's back deck produced these wonderful flowers.
So pretty
Last June I got the family together - not an easy exercise with crazy work schedules - for a Sunday lunch. It had to be early and filling as 3 members were going straight to work.
So inviting in the morning light
I made croque madame as well as roasted tomatoes and tiny sausages. I prepared the croque the night before and it worked wonderfully well.
Hot and crunchy
It will be time soon to start planning another family breakfast/lunch/dinner. I must start thinking of ideas. Maybe even a picnic.
A bargain buy
I rarely buy flowers, especially in the summer as they do not last. I couldn't resist these though as they were a bargain and looked so cheery.
Sunroom at night
I love sitting here in the early evening and having a glass of wine. This really is my favourite room. It is so relaxing. One side is screened but open to the elements. In the summer it is cool in the mornings and in winter it is cosy in the afternoon and early evening with the heat of the sun.
When I fist saw the tiles on the floor I was horrified - so 1970's mission brown. But of course when I really thought about how the room could be used (and lived in the house for a year) It started to come together.
Now I love them
The whole feel of the room is wonderful. With rugs, potted plants and the fish pond it is a wonderful introduction to the house.
Fish tank and plants


No comments:

Post a Comment