Saturday, April 5, 2014

A big cooking week

It all started when Nev bought over a packet of bread and pizza flour. I decided to bite the bullet and experiment with 'yeast' cooking.
I tried this once in the 60's and was so discouraged with the result I didn't try again.

I started with a yeast pastry and made a salami and eggplant torte.
Looks amazing
I was so excited with the look of the finished product I didn't want to cut it.
Lovely layers

This will be great for a picnic
The next night I made a pizza. I used to make pizza for the boys when they were young on a savoury scone dough. This time I used the yeast.
Ready for the oven
Yes I ate half
The base was a little too think for me but G said it was good for him. He also liked the pastry on the torte.
On a roll - the next day I made my first ever Focaccia.
Olive and rosemary
This was wonderful
I have eaten it hot and fresh, toasted with tomato and cheese, and then yesterday I made croutons with it to put in a salad with goats cheese. This is going to be a staple for me.

Anzac biscuits
I will take some of these to the Historical Society meeting on Tuesday night. I made them with shredded coconut instead of dessicated and it worked just as well.

I saw a Greek walnut cake being made on MKR on Wednesday night and decided to find a recipe. I remembered the Greek cook book that I won at a Panyiri Festival one year for answering all of the correct ingredient for a particular recipe.

It needs 2 cups of walnuts

A lovely mixture

Another success
When the cake comes out of the oven it is soaked in a sugar syrup flavoured with lemon juice and cinnamon. There is nothing better that a syrup cake I have decided. I am serving this with yoghurt.  I will make another for a family lunch at Palm Beach next weekend.
A GOOD WEEK…...

1 comment:

  1. Sandra, I adore the fact that you have the photo, and under it - a description or something - so that it looks like it is part of the photo. Terribly clever.

    ReplyDelete