Sunday, September 21, 2014

The latest cooking spree

I am determined to cook at least one new thing a week. I know I have tried this before and ran out of time/inspiration etc etc. BUT! I have so many recipes in my files - some from the mid 80's that I still have not cooked.
On Friday I came across a recipe for rosewater and cardamon biscuits that is from Vogue Entertaining magazine that I think is extinct by now. Anyhow I had all of the ingredients so it happened.
Made with rice flower so a little like shortbread
The hint or rosewater and cardamon is just lovely They have to be piped onto the biscuit trays and are supposed to look like 'a neat mullah's turban'
Not so neat turbans
I definitely need more practise at piping and a better piping implement
Red velvet cake
I found a box of Duncan Hines red velvet cake mix on special at Woolies. I have never heard of him before, but he is very well known American cook according to my friend R who knows the answers to everything. I am serious I test him out on the most random things all of the time - he is always right - not normal!  Anyhow I made the cake mix into 2 small cakes for the family and some cup cakes for G as it is his birthday. There was no frosting in the box so googled to find out what kind of icing goes on these cakes. It is traditionally a cream cheese one - but no cream cheese. So I made a very basic 'Aussie' icing with butter and vanilla etc.
Little A was impressed
The icing dissapeared in no time
I have decided that this would be a great cake for Christmas for our non fruit cake loving family. Red cake white cream cheese icing and a sprig of green holly on top. All the right colours for Christmas,
You know Christmas is coming when the 'Op shops' even have Christmas decorations out on display - not just the supermarkets etc.
Salmon slice
This is something I have been making since 1985 - I checked my notes. Apparently I was looking for something to use up the left over filo pastry. it is really a quiche type thing lovely with a salad for lunch
Comforting and creamy

No comments:

Post a Comment