Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A little retro food

I have been reading the notes on my recipes. I make notations on every recipe that I cook - this way I know if they were successful and when/why I made a particular dish.

This has been a regular since May 1994. I then updated it in 2006 to fit a larger dish. No point in making this in small quantities.
Spinach and feta pie
I looked at the notes on the Banana nut bread recipe and saw that I have been making it since 1975. Apparently I was looking for something to use up very ripe banana's. Originally I made it with  peanuts, then by 1985 I had discovered pine nuts. In 2013 I made it with walnuts - so versatile - use up the nuts you have in the fridge.
This time it is pine nuts

My friend R was so concerned about son M being bored while recovering this week from chemo that he bought him 2 foodie magazines. I made a recipe from the NZ 'Dish' magazine called Mulled prunes.
Wonderful prunes
I thought that anything with citrus peel, cinnamon stick, star anise and cloves had to be good. Not to mention the rum, red wine and sugar. I planned to have it with yoghurt for breakfast. I text R and told him about the taste and fragrance so he invited me to dinner and to bring the prunes. We had a lovely meal and ate all of the prunes with ice-cream. Now I have to make another lot.
Comforting polenta
I love my polenta full of cheese and herbs. Then chilled and fried until crisp.
Lavender
The lavender is finally in bloom. I keep a bag of dried lavender flowers in a muslin bag hanging in my linen closet - smells wonderful. I have also found some lavender furniture polish on the net and have been going crazy polishing all of my wood furniture.
Runner
I found this lovely fabric - a remnant. My friend C showed me how to 'fringe'. So simple so cost effective and original.
My next project
Garden in a bottle - I am doing this - watch this space

No comments:

Post a Comment