Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas Day 2013

For the first time since I was about 15 years old I was not responsible for the major cooking/cleaning/organising of Christmas Day for family and or friends.

My Grand daughter G and her lovely partner R (both Chefs) volunteered to 'do' the day. R's fun family from Hutt near Wellington New Zealand are visiting for the holidays.

I did glaze the ham by request. The oven in the townhouse was too small for the whole leg of ham.
Prepped this on Christmas Eve
G had to cut the bone off the end with my pruning saw it was so big. Wouldn't fit in my Le Cruset baking dish (not that I would have been able to lift the dish and the ham). I bought an aluminium baking dish which of course is not 'firm'. What fun I had lifting this out every 15 minutes on Christmas morning to paint it with the fig glaze.
Discovered this fig glaze 13 years ago
Ham with the fig glaze has been such a family favourite that I have made it every year since 2000. I usually do a spicy peach chutney to go with this.
Was worth it
Me toasting 'the ham'
Daughter in law C in one of her fav colours
Chef R - we love him
Grand daughters coleslaw - fabulous
I took some of this home for a snack. She used a bottled dressing that was fabulous - who would have thought.
Fresh bar b qued  prawns cooked by a Kiwi
Lovely veggie selection
Great potato salad
G's yummy chicken roulade's
There was also a lovely roasted loin of pork that missed the photo's with a wonderful gravy, plus oodles of cheese and smoked salmon plus fresh oysters.
A great time with R's family - fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment