Wednesday, January 16, 2013

More about Mangos

One of the best things about a Brisbane summer, besides the Frangipani, are MANGOS.

Again the stealing goes on. My friend Carol and I were able to get more of the green common mangos so that I could make more chutney. However we were not able to pull down the really good Bowen mangos as they were far too high up the tree. Even standing on a ladder on uneven ground (scary for 2 over 60's) did not work.

The clever neighbours Neal and Karen on the other side of Bernice's house, came up with an excellent idea. They have bamboo growing along their fence line. Neal made a metal hook on the end of an enormously long bamboo pole and was able to get heaps of mangos down for us. they have to be picked green and left inside to ripen. If left on the trees the bats and possums eat them. Not so bad if they ate one at a time. Unfortunately they take a nibble out of about 20 or 30 a night.

I came away with 15 wonderful big mangos that I will share with Carol. I gave Neal and Karen mango chutney for their clever idea and effort.
The bounty
The possums will get them if I leave them on the back patio table to ripen.

No comments:

Post a Comment