Sunday, November 8, 2015

My first Pannacotta

After almost 10 months in 'The Little Spring Hill Kitchen', I really feel that I have come to grips with cooking in a small space.
The trick is to gather ingredients, measure, prep, and put everything away before you actually start to cook. The big wood cutting board over the sink works a treat and moving the dish drainer also gives more work space. These things are never an issue in a 'regular' kitchen.

I actually made my first pannacotta! I can't believe that I haven't done this before. Fabulous do ahead dessert, in fact has to be done the day before to set properly.
Pannacotta affogato
I have another recipe using coconut milk that I will try next.

Had Graham to dinner and made his favourite roast lamb and vegetables with lots of gravy. When Graham was a neighbour and the boys were still at home a favourite summer dessert was Joyce's refrigerator cheese cake. She used to make this in the 60's and it has always been a family favourite.
It worked
Even though I had made this many times in the 70's for some reason I hadn't done the measurement conversions to metric. It did concern me that the ingredients are 1 x packet Nice biscuits, I block Philladelphia cream cheese, 1 tin of Carnation milk, 1 lemon jelly - are the packet/tin sizes the same as the 60's. Probably not I thought but what the hell - just do it! I did cut down the amount of sugar (a shocker) and converted the butter measurement to grams. He ate a huge piece and went home with a second for today.
I found a roasted cauliflower dip on a blog earlier this week. Roasted cauliflower, roasted garlic, toasted pumpkin seeds, olive oil. Not as exciting as I expected.
It may taste better tomorrow
 The egg plants looked luscious and cheap so of course had to make roasted eggplant risotto. I grilled the eggplant on the bar-b-que for the best result.
Making risotto is so soothing
Dinner
I am as always obsessed with candles. I even like one burning during the day, it gives the apartment a lovely feel. I especially like the look of this one outside.
Just says welcome


No comments:

Post a Comment