Saturday, June 7, 2014

Old School Date Roll

My friend and neighbour C makes an excellent date roll in a very old date roll tin. As I was dropping off some bits and pieces at the local Anglican Church Op shop, I noticed a date roll tin in the box of baking items. By the way the best place to buy used cake tins of old fashioned shapes - and cheap. My date roll tin cost $1.
Bargain of the week
Then I had to borrow C old handwritten cook book for the recipe.

Place in a bowl: 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 cup of chopped dates and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Then pour over 1 cup of boiling water until all combined.
Sift in 1 1/2 cups of SR flour and beat well. I added half a cup of chopped walnuts. Place in very well greased tin and bake in moderate oven for 50 minutes, or until an inserted skewer come out dry.

I can't see why this cannot be made in a normal loaf tin.
It worked
Great for morning tea
Not forgetting the butter

No comments:

Post a Comment