Saturday, September 26, 2015

Liver and bacon - the real comfort food

In the mid 1970's on winter Sunday evenings I used to make liver and bacon for dinner. It was the time when the boys were at high school and would eat everything in sight. I always hoped that there would be left overs for the after school snack on Monday afternoon - but it didn't always happen that way. Served with mashed potato and peas of beans, or just on toast if it was a busy day, it was a favourite.

When I cook liver now it is with onions, lemon, white wine and fresh sage. Much more sophisticated.

However son M requested 'old school' liver and bacon. He promptly delivered the largest lump of beef liver, a bag of bacon and a big bag of mushrooms.

So this morning I cooked up a storm.
caramelising the onions
Plenty of bacon and mushrooms
The end result 
Of course I just couldn't resist adding fresh sage and deglazing the pan with verjuice. It tastes just wonderful.

On the sweet side this week I made a Dutch Stroopwafel cake. I have never heard of this cake before. BUT thanks to Aldi and a recent 'Dutch Week' I just couldn't resist. They had a cake mix plus the wafers to go in it. You make the cake batter and fold through pieces of the wafer. Then sprinkle pieces of wafer on top.
Step 1

These wafers are great

Lovely crunchy top

I also managed an arrangement with 'found' flowers this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment