Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Chicken and Leek Pie

When I was a child my Father made chicken pies for a living - well part of the living. They were the most famous part. We would sell hundreds of them on a weekend from the shop in Slack's Creek.

After raising the chickens from day old's, being part of the process system as in working in the abattoir  (I could gut a chicken in 10 seconds when I was 10 years old), then boning the caracas, making the chicken filling and sometimes helping to roll the pastry, I haven't eaten a chicken pie in 50 years.

Watching Graham eat a chicken pie last Friday I suddenly had an urge for one. Maybe the reason I haven't eaten a chicken pie in all those years was because I was worried that it would not be of the good taste and quality that made Dad's pies famous. Well in our part of the world.

I spent all of Friday night doing research and found what i thought would be a great recipe with leeks - one of my favourite vegetables.

Puff pastry top - delicious
There was too much mixture for one pie so I made some individual pies with puff pastry. These turned out wonderfully well. I even ate one cold the next day.
Perfect picnic food

No comments:

Post a Comment