Sunday, July 5, 2015

Exploring the 'hood' - a good week

I have been walking every afternoon getting to know my new area. So much to see. Lovely old workers cottages some have been restored, others not. I love peeking into the back yards of old houses in Spring Hill. It is like looking back in time. Lovely old fashioned plants, hills hoists, and old tank, and tropical trees.
Yesterday I walked to the Old Museum. They were having a vintage fair called 'Finder's Keepers'. The whole place was packed with people buying hand made craft and fashion and picnicking in the garden.
Lovely spot for lunch
Museum garden
Friend Paul C came for morning tea. He has been on 2 sea cruises since I saw him last. Always good for an adventure tale.
Veggie muffins
I made a batch of my good old stand by muffins. These are great served warm with sour cream and tomato relish - I still have some left from my December batch.
Pumpkin and feta pie
Made this other old recipe to have for lunches. Nothing beats roasted pumpkin and feta.

Bacon, egg and leek pie
This is my first bacon and egg pie. I have always wanted to make one after I tasted one in Auckland years ago. I wanted something for a picnic plus the Griffins were going to Lamb Island for the day. A perfect portable lunch.
Friend C and her dog Val and I drove to Bribe Island for a picnic and walk on the beach in the winter sunshine.
Val had the best time
Gourmet picnic
C made individual lemon sago puddings for us to eat with greek yoghurt. After dessert we drove to Bongaree and bought coffee to have with her chocolate slice. It is a good thing that we did a very long beach walk.
Cyclamen to add colour for winter
Morning winter light
For a few minutes when the sun is in the right spot it shines through the red glass over the front door and bathes this area of the lounge room in this lovely light.

No comments:

Post a Comment